A summer staple this year for Matt and I was turkey burgers. Now before you start laughing and cracking jokes about not eating “real” burgers take a moment to read about these. These aren’t the tasteless, dried out turkey burgers that come to mind. Instead, these are moist and flavorful. This recipe is courtesy of Grif’s sister-in-law. We first ate them at a Maryland tailgate last year and immediately wanted the recipe.
1 package (1.31 pounds) ground turkey meat
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
*Note: I doubled the recipe on this particular day but the amounts above do not reflect that.
1. Place the turkey meat in a large bowl.
2. Add the soy sauce (I use low sodium), salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
You’re probably asking yourself how much of the last three ingredients to put in. Hopefully you’ve read enough of my posts by now to know that it’s all your preference. Don’t be afraid to add a generous amount of each. You’ll learn to adjust each time you make them. Next time you may want to add more garlic powder.
3. Now for the fun part – mixing it all together. Use your hands. It’s the easiest way to break down the meat and get everything mixed up.
4. Once everything is mixed, form the meat into burger patties. Remember that turkey patties won’t shrink the way ground beef ones do so make the patties the size you’d like them to be after grilling. Let them sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes before cooking them.
5. Grill the turkey burgers for about the same amount of time you would a beef burger. (You can also cook them in a skillet on your stove.)
6. Before removing the burgers from the grill, add a slice of cheese. I recommend Gouda.
7. Add any extras you wish to. I prefer to eat mine bun-less and with barbeque sauce. In this case I had some Quinoa Greek Salad as a side. Matt likes to put his on a bun with some barbeque sauce and bacon.
Even with making the burger patties from scratch this is still one of the easiest, stress-free recipes I make. I’ve made them for concert tailgates, when my parents came for dinner, when we’ve had friends over to the apartment. And no complaints so far!